Monday, July 26, 2010

Turn Your Light On!! {Day 1)

Howdy girls! I am way excited about the next 31 Days. We are gonna grow. We are gonna write and create and learn what it means to just be.

Thank you for joining me on this journey:)

And if you would like to join us be sure and click here to read about the 31 Days Challenge then grab a button on the right and get to work!

My goal for the next 31 Days is not to just "show up" in my art space or at the computer or with my journal 15 minutes a day.

Nope.

My goal is to learn to live creatively. To look at everything with a fresh set of eyes. Even the laundry-LOL!

Creating: “You do not have to be good to start, but you have to start to become good!” Dr. Jeanne King, Ph.D.

How many times have you told yourself that "Today is the day."? 

Today is the day I....

lose weight, work on my scrapbooks, start walking, create a blog, write in my journal, enjoy life.


I have promised myself over and over "today is the day".  Through the years I have read magazine articles and "famous" scrapbookers blogs and thought to myself, "why can't I be like them? Oh, I know why because I don't have time to create. I don't have time to even think about creating. I have too much to do. I have a house to run, kids to raise, scriptures to read, errands to run. My goodness, I am busy.


But in all my busy-ness I wasn't finding that peaceful, happy feeling I was hoping for. I was just busy. I was tired. I was grumpy.


Then, something happened. I began blogging. I began giving myself permission to take an hour out of my day to write and read and connect with others. I became inspired by all the women I found who were just as busy as me yet they were creating. 


I started to realize that all those "famous scrappers and artists"...they had families just like me. They had laundry and dust and dinner to make. 


The difference between them and me was they were making their creativity a priority in their life...they were living creatively.


"One must work and dare if one really wants to live."-Vincent Van Gogh


I am ready to work. I am ready to dream. I am ready to live my life filled to the brim with inspiration.

Here is my journal I created for my 31 Day Challenge and beyond.


It's one of those composition notebooks you can buy in the school aisle at Wal-Mart or Target. This one costs me just 25 cents! The paper is from Webster's Pages {a few years back} Love that on the paper it already said..."On this day".  And of course check out the butterfly!! I added a few more butterflies and a bird in the lower left corner. Letter stickers and other stickers are from K & Co.


Inside cover...


The paper is from Fancy Pants...my favorite company for paper.


And here is the back inside cover.


That pattern paper on the right is from Webster's Pages.


I am gonna use this book for all my prompts, my thoughts, project ideas and art journaling.


So here's to living the creative life, ladies. Remember, don't stress. This shouldn't feel like work. If you can't make something today, write a paragraph in your journal, find a creative quote on-line or spend 15 minutes searching out new, inspirational blogs. And remember if you find any good ones share them here!!!:)


Also...please don't feel like you have to share all this on your blog. If you want to share your journey that is AWESOME!! But don't feel like you must. This Challenge is about finding yourself. It's about enjoying the journey. 


My art goals for this week include trying at least 2 new painting techniques and finding the latest ART JOURNALING magazine from Somerset Studios. You can see that amazing magazine here. I will also post a challenge a day on the Words of Me "Like" page. Be sure and visit daily!!! Click on my Facebook badge on the right to sign up or visit my page!!


Join me tomorrow for a very inspiring interview with another creative woman blogger!!


Have a creative day girls:)

9 comments:

  1. What a wonderful project!!! Stopping over from Leanne's blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Leslie-I LOVE your journal-especially the inside page!! I have to check out Fancy Pants now (cute name too!!)...I just might try this challenge. I was thinking the same thing...i don't have time:) But...you have inspired me! You have to pick up the Sommerset Art Journaling...I just got it yesterday and...it is brimming with tips, techniques, inspiration galore. It's like a mini vacation for me! I love how you are making time for YOU and yourSELF?your creative SELF. That is so important...if we are FULL of ourSELVES we can give more to others. Thanks so much Leslie-for inspiring and sharing:) BTW If I take this challenge-would I share it on my blog, your blog or just keep it to myself? p.s. thanks for stopping by my website. It's not 100% done yet but it's something i have wanted to make happen for so long!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leslie I love this project and I love your journal. I was just at Leanne's and I'm looking forward to hearing about both of your creations. It's so important to take time to create and like you I found that blogging not only allowed me to create but it opened up doors to find ways to express that creativity. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leslie
    I love your journal idea and your passion and vision you have for this 31 days! Love Webster pages too...I have some of that paper!
    Thanks for stopping in to see my vision/goals. That is my start to your 31 day challenge. Your encouragement means so much to me! It feels extremely vulnerable to lay that out there, but empowering to be authentic. So...your words are no small thing to me!
    have a lovely day~
    jodi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Inspiring yet again Leslie! You are such a wonderful motivator, that is definitely your gift! : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the journal! I'm heading over to Leannes to check it all out soon. I got creative with our dinner tonight because I realized instead of pulling two cream of mushrooms out of the can dispenser at the grocer, I got a cream of mushroom and broccoli cheese ha! So we are mixing them together for our recipe tonight. I'll let you know how it turns out, yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your journal turned out awesome!! I also love your mini inspiration board. I'm going to eat dinner and then I'm going to sit outback for a few and just clear my mind. After that I plan on starting with my inspiration board!!!! So excited!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post, Leslie!! SO inspiring - and I have to tell you, you are already helping me look at all parts of my day creatively. I thought of this challenge ALL DAY LONG (it was so silly!) But I LOVED it!!! Thanks for giving me the push I need!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay, I tried something new. Posted it here http://smallsteps2giantleaps.blogspot.com/2010/07/i-createtherefore-i-am.html. Thanks for the inspiration, Les.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your thoughts and ideas...they inspire me!! I will be visiting you soon. Have a CREATIVE day!!