Thursday, December 8, 2016

How I Found My Style!


“Creativity takes courage. ” 


I remember the EXACT moment I saw a journal page from Dina Wakley. I was searching for ideas on the internet for my new obsession....mixed-media. I had been a scrapbooker for YEARS but their was something about  mixed-media that drew me in.
I was never what you call "an artist" so I loved the "free for all" feel of collage, paint and glue.

BUT....
the MOMENT I saw Dina's messy, bold, GLORIOUS pages I thought...
now THIS is FUN! This is ME! 

One of my fave pages inspired by Dina's inky, messy style. I remember using a spray bottle for the first time on my pages....it was a BLAST!!!
Her book "Art Journal Freedom" was about to be released and I couldn't WAIT! The minute it came in the mail I devoured this book. Playing and practicing along the way.
My very favorite thing that came out of her book was I FOUND MY STYLE!
It was the most FREEING thing that happened to me!

At times I suffer from anxiety and depression. Nothing gets me out of a funk like CREATING ART!!

I would gather up an entire pad of watercolor paper, my Dylusions Inks and sprays and my water-bottle and go outside. For the next hour or so I just let myself GO. It was Magnificent!

I use Dina's girl stamps more than any of my stamps combined I think! There are just so many creative things you can do with them!
 Through the years I have tried many "styles" of journaling and creating on canvas...but I always come back to ME...my messy, beautiful, colorful pages filled with Words to Inspire.

Another set of my Dina stamps and my Dina inspired style. 
  As I continued to create in my journals I found myself using Hearts in nearly all my work.
Soooo...of course I had to purchase Dina's Heart stamps. 

  
I LOVE using texture as well in my pages...lots of gesso here along with modeling paste. 

  
Each heart was stamped on painted paper made by me, cut out and glued to the page.



This is one of my favorite pages...everything from the gorgeous Dylusions sprays, to the vintage girl and Dina Hearts.

I am so grateful I found Dina Wakley's books....they TRULY changed the way I create and helped me embrace my inner artist!



1 comment:

I appreciate your thoughts and ideas...they inspire me!! I will be visiting you soon. Have a CREATIVE day!!