Thursday, February 16, 2012

Doodle-le-do!



Do you remember these? Lettering and doodle books were all the rage 10 plus years ago. Lindsay Ostrom came out with most of these along with Zig...{the marker people}. I bought every single one. I was determined to re-create all those fancy letters on my scrapbook pages!




Little did I know that all these years later I'd be pulling them out again for use in my art journals and paintings. I am sooo happy I didn't give these away during one of my whirlwind make-overs:)

With all the STUFF going on in my life right now...time in the studio has been zero. My heart just hasn't been in it. However I longed to create something...

So last weekend I pulled out all these books, my bag of markers and a small journal.

 Here's the first page...kind of primitive I know, but it's been awhile!


My favorite part of these books are all the cute, little doodles!!



They show you how to create everything from flowers to hearts to what they call "swhoopies".



For two nights I sat on my couch, markers in hand and doodled.



Considering the stress I've been under this was the perfect medicine. I can't get over how relaxing it was. For a few hours I forgot about my troubles.


I copied some from the book and made up some of my own. As I doodled I thought of several ways to use them in my art and my Brave Girls.


I think doodling is my new thing. I LOVE it!!

I must tell you, girls...even though life has been almost too much to bear these past few weeks...good, good things are happening.

Sweet things.
Good business things.
Opportunities for my husband that he's only dreamed about.

We are learning from all this hurt and frustration and relying on our Savior Jesus Christ to help us through.

He is the answer.
He is always the answer.


"Fear knocked at the door.  Faith answered.  And lo, no one was there."  ~Author Unknown
 

Have you ever seen these books? Do you doodle? What are your favorite blogs/books on doodling? Please share!!

11 comments:

  1. I sure do remember these books. I have a couple too. I am so glad that you have found something to help you 'escape' for a little bit from your worries. I wish I lived closer and we could go out for lunch and just talk girl talk. Not worry about the pressing matters of the day.

    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these books, and am so glad that you pulled them out and are using them again. and have to say . . . I love your doodle pages. The perfect thing to focus on and to allow yourself to escape for a bit. I'm not much of a doodler, but have been seeing a lot of the "zen" tangles and zen doodling that is coming out, and I love it as a source of meditation and relaxation. Kass Hall (one of our flyers) has a book coming out on it. It looks really cool to me. Hugs . . . Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have never seen or heird of these books they look fantastic...i hope your life gets easier soon...hugs n love your way...xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, I totally remember those book!!! Love the doodling too, so awesome! I love your artwork! Thanks for your comments on my blog, sure am glad to have ya as a friend!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A blogger I follow has started doing ZenTangles http://www.zentangle.com/ , a whole doodling system that gives some really interesting results! I've thought about diving in, but I haven't yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I HAVE Linsay's ABC book, and I WON her new doodle book last year!! I like rainbowelephant.com and tanglepatterns.com They are all about tangle patterns. I like looking thru my contacts flickr pages, to see doodles!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there!!
    I found your blog while searching for happy heart quotes...
    anywho...I just love it and thought i'd say a quick hello!!
    I'm off to search e-bay for a few doodling books!! So cute:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are good, definitely a great resource!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have several of these books, Leslie, as well as some of the Zentangle books...I've been on a bit of a doodling kick myself lately too. If you are interested in some of the great lettering options, you might have fun with Joanne Sharpe's Letter Love class. She inspires great doodling with her lettering too!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your thoughts and ideas...they inspire me!! I will be visiting you soon. Have a CREATIVE day!!