Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Be of Good Cheer

We go through our days
working, striving, loving,
coping, doing, creating,
cooking, leading, guiding...

Some days 
most days
time passes so quickly
we forget to hold 
onto what really matters.

Jacks & Em 12 years ago.


What really truly matters
is our relationships to one another.
Are we loving enough?
Do we give and listen?

Are we tough when we need to be?

Are we really listening
or are we just nodding our head up and down hoping 
no one will notice?

Do our kids cry out when they 
need us?
Or do they give
us bits and pieces
quietly
subtley
in ways we 
might miss 
because we just
keep 
going
and 
going
and
 going.
 
Em & Jacks Christmas 2011
 
 
 
 There is always so much to do.
Always places to go.

We need to be mindful of our days.
We need to show our loved
ones that 
YES
WE 
HEAR
YOU!!!
 
Em at 14
 
Not everything that happens in life
can be made all better
with a hug or a kiss.

When my kids were little
and they got hurt
or in trouble
a toy from the Dollar Store
could make it all better.

That doesn't work now.

No.

What works the very best is
love
and 
prayer
and 
setting an example.

Tough love 
works
too.

Sometimes 
it's the only thing
that does work.
 
But that can be 
oh so 
EXHAUSTING.
Oh so
HARD.
 
It drains you
and makes you want
to curl up in a corner
and die.
 
It makes you want to wish your days
and weeks and months away.
Just so you can get through all the hard stuff.
 
Giz & Jacks Christmas 2011
 
Yes,
Life is hard here right now.

But unlike yesterday and the 
day before that...
I am choosing to be 
CHEERFUL.

I am choosing 
to see the positive.



Here is a quote from one of our church leaders...

With God’s help, good cheer permits us
 to rise above the depressing present 
or difficult circumstances.
 It is a process of positive reassurance
 and reinforcement.
 It is sunshine when clouds 
block the light.
 
-Elder Neal A. Maxwell
 
 
I can't be overcome 
with sorrow.
I can't live in the past.
 
Life is hard.
Raising kids is hard.
But it's my responsibility to 
be here for my kids.
 
No matter how my heart aches.
No matter how hard this may get.
I will be of "good cheer".
 
 
 None of us will escape tragedy 
and suffering. Each of us will probably
 react differently
. However, if we can recall
 the Lord’s promise,
 “for I the Lord am with you,” 
we will be able to face our problems 
with dignity and courage.
 We will find the strength 
to be of good cheer i
nstead of becoming resentful,
 critical, or defeated. 
We will be able to meet life’s
 unpleasant happenings 
with clear vision, strength, and power.
 
-Elder Neal A. Maxwell
 
 
Linking up today with
 

And

7 comments:

  1. Beautifully said, Leslie! Thanks so much for writing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Leslie,

    Yes! This post says it all. Love the photos of your kids - especially the ADORABLE first one!

    Hugs to you,
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  3. it is tough...i had a.very bad time with my 12 year old son last night...he broke my heart but i always told him i love him....he is now not aria school but fast asleep...high school is making him exhausted...yes...bringing up kids is exhausting but its a joy to see how they furnish intimately wonderful young adults...lovely quotes too les...xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leslie,
    Last week I was struggling big time to get through CRAP and I was pretty emotional! I needed a sign that God loves me. I went to church and my husband was giving a talk on Pres. Uchtdorf's conference address: You Matter to Him. Anyway... it was as though the Lord was telling me how much he loves me and to just HOLD ON tight... through my husband's voice and Uchtdorf's words. This is the part of the talk that I remember most:

    "Please understand that what you see and experience now is not what forever will be. You will not feel loneliness, sorrow, pain, or discouragement forever. We have the faithful promise of God that He will neither forget nor forsake those who incline their hearts to Him. Have hope and faith in that promise."

    Love you Leslie,
    Maggie G

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the quotes of Elder Neal A. Maxwell.

    Life is hard but God's love helps us persevere to love others the way we need to and His love restores us when life drains us! Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sending you love, peace, and healing prayers.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your thoughts and ideas...they inspire me!! I will be visiting you soon. Have a CREATIVE day!!