Monday, December 12, 2011

My Story Matters

"Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done. Now, if you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hit, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you are because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that and that ain't you. You're better than that!"  -Rocky Balboa


If you've read by blog for very long...you may think my life is all smiley faces and exclamation points.


When I began writing "Words of Me Project" I wasn't quite sure where it would go. The past year it's been filled with stories and photos of my art. As I've come out of my artistic shell and began sharing with all the world I've enjoyed the comments and cheers each of you have given me. This blog has been my safe place. A place I can come and spill my heart out...honestly and thoughtfully. This is my place on the Web to share. To spread sunshine. To uplift and inspire you.



Lately, my heart has been whispering one word over and over again.

Story.

I hear it as I'm typing this post.
I hear it during my journal writing, when I'm creating.
I hear at the oddest times...like when I'm studying scripture or driving.

Story.

Tell stories. Write stories. Share stories.



During the five years I wrote my newspaper column "View From the Front Porch" my readers knew me...the real me. The ugly me. The sad me. The happy me! Each week I shared a Story of my life with them. I looked at everything like a Story. I learned from the Stories I wrote about.
Each Story I told touched one of my readers in some way or the other. I know this because I couldn't go anywhere in my small town without someone coming up to me and share how my Story had been their Story, too.  




I am ready to share My Story with you.
Sometimes good.
Sometimes sad.
Sometimes angry and upset.
Sometimes exhilarating.
Sometimes scary.
Sometimes smiley faces and exclamation points!

Always real.
Always worthwhile.
Always something you can learn from.
Always Me.

"Words of Me Project" is the Story of my life. I hope to continue inspiring, encouraging and uplifting you in your journey and with your own Story.

Thank you so much for being here. Writing is my first love. It is a passion that burns deep in my soul. Without writing I don't think life would be so meaningful. When I write I can see. Writing is my song. It brings me joy. It makes me smile. And when something I write touches your heart in some way...well, that's a feeling I never get tired of.



My life is a bit hard right now. So many unknowns up ahead. The Rocky Balboa quote at the top of this post sums up the way I'm feeling at this moment in my life. The words that speak to me are these...


But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. 



I am choosing to move forward. I am choosing to put all my trust in the Lord. He knows my heart. He knows that trials bring us closer to Him. They refine us. They make us stronger.




I am looking forward to 2012.
I have been thinking about my Word for the new year. One that keeps surfacing is Clear. But I'm still not quite sure.


I encourage you to take a look at your life. What are the qualities you want to bring into your life this new year? Where do you want to go? What are your passions and are you honoring them?


6 comments:

  1. Great post Leslie! I love your gift of writing and the passion you have for it. I love it, because that is not my gift, but I find that I can relate to many, many thoughts & feelings that you put to the written word. Thank you for sharing all of your story. No one wants the happily ever afters all the time, we want to know that we are not alone in our struggles, that someone else understands the challenges and the very hard times that can knock us down and to know that when that has happened to someone else, they were able to get back up and move forward, it gives us all hope that we can emerge triumphantly, stronger and better than before. Keep telling your story Les.....it's a good one! Sure do love ya! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so get this post, Les. I do. While I don't know all that you are going through right now, I am here for you. I believe in you. I celebrate the stories of you, all of them. And I think this post helps me and reminds me of the importance of our stories. I feel like I've taken a long break from the story telling in my blog, and after reading this post . . . I realize how much I miss them. The words, the writing, the stories? I've been thinking so much a bout my word for 2012, and haven't felt it yet. Maybe stories is a part of my word. Hmmmmm . . . .

    thanks for helping me think, my dear friend. Thinking of you and sending you strength, Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am thankful for your blog. This post especially is quite timely. I'm not big on resolutions but thinking of one word to live 2012 by is enticing to me.

    We are real people in a cyber world. Our stories, whether happy or sad, should be shared if that's what we choose to do. I've been working on a post that I will publish the day my mother passed away (December 31). It's a hard day and yet a day of celebration.

    Whatever you're going through righ now know that you have your blog readers to lean on. I for one will be that supportive friend over a cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bravo for being brave. Bravo for your openness and willingness to share your stories. I love how connections are made when we share our stories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear heart, I love your stories. Your words have been balm and blessing since I found you. I hope that your trials will bring forth fruit, and that there is nothing AWFUL going on.
    I have been pondering my WORD for 2012 and I think it will be FREE.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful post. I look forward to reading your stories. Everyone has stories, the power is in sharing them to help us know we are not alone.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your thoughts and ideas...they inspire me!! I will be visiting you soon. Have a CREATIVE day!!