Wednesday, October 19, 2011

I admit it...I need help!

What I'm about to show is soooo embarrassing. I mean really, really....



This is the floor of my hall closet.
Can you say....GROSS?!

This is the top shelf of the hall closet. See that orange ball? It's no ball...it's an old balloon! There's also a volleyball, a dog bed, hangers and at least a dozen scarves, mittens and hats!




Then the COATS!


See how they are just crammed in there. Ridiculous!


Thank goodness I found this marvelous woman...

Kelly at Imperfect Home Making.  She is currently featuring a 31 Days Organizing Extravaganza on her blog...it's just what I needed!

Yesterday was Day 2 for me. She had us clean and organize our hall closet. Thank goodness because mine was a disaster!!:)


Can you believe all the shoes? Good grief! This closet had become the dumping ground for all our shoes, sports stuff and anything else we could cram in there!


It was literally spilling out all over my floor.

So here's what I did...






I cleared out everything! At one point my husband came in the hall and just shook his head. He couldn't believe all the stuff either.

Coats....


Winter wear...



Chalk and other oddball items... {chalk, really?!}



And SHOES...oh the SHOES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Oreo couldn't believe all the shoes either...


Gizmo was just plain disgusted by the whole thing...



After sorting through everything I had 1/2 bag of trash and a 1/2 bag of give away. The rest of it went in my teens' rooms, our room and the garage. Only a fraction of what was in there went back.


I had this pretty blue bin for scarves and hats.



A few shoes went back...our winter boots, Em's cowgirl boots and Dave's everyday shoes.



We have soooo many different coats but usually use the same ones over and over again. I put those back. Now we have space for guests coats. Hooray!

See stuff isn't spilling out anymore.


I took a few minutes and weeded out the coat stand, too. This whole corner is so much more inviting.



Ahhhh, it felt so good to clean that up! 
All in all it took about 1 hour from start to finish.

Are you ready to get started on your own Organizing Challenge? Stop by here for Kelly's ideas.

Are you an organized person or do you need help like me?? What is one thing that is a necessity in your hall closet? Please share!

Linking up with Kelly today!!

7 comments:

  1. Lovely! Great Job!!! You should link this up to my Organized Home Linky Party on October 27th.

    And thanks for the shout-out...I really appreciate it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. great job on your closet! looks great! I will have to go check out her blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks amazing! I'm inspired. But how come you're not making Emma and Jackson do this?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love what you did with your closet! I definitely need this too! As a teacher I save everything. Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing this! :) I am headed over to her blog right now to start my own 31 day challenge!

    We just had a garage sale and house-cleaning event, but I feel like it's still not de-cluttered enough! Not homey enough! Not SIMPLE enough!

    So happy for you and your lovely closet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh..I really need to do this! I have the day off tomorrow, so day 1 here I come!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great work with your clearing and organizing! Last year, I had some ideas about becoming a professional organizer--I love organizing!--but I don't have any interest in starting that kind of business for myself. But I continue to enjoy organizing my own stuff, and seeing others organize theirs! Thanks for the new link.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your thoughts and ideas...they inspire me!! I will be visiting you soon. Have a CREATIVE day!!