Thursday, September 16, 2010

Anniversay Week {Day 4)

It's Day 4 of the SITS Back2 Blogging Event!!

Today's assignment is to blog about a woman who inspires me. To be honest LOTS of women inspire me so this was kind of hard. I mean to pick just one when so many of YOU inspire me daily...well, it just doesn't seem fair to leave anyone out.

After much thought I picked a woman whom I didn't know much about just a few months ago but has had quite an impact on my way of thinking. She has made me realize how important it is to understand where it is we come from so we'll know where we're going. Her Uncle, is perhaps, one of the most influential African Americans in the World. I am trying to be more like....

Dr. Alveda King

Alveda Celeste King (born January 22, 1951)[3] is an American Christian minister,[4] political conservative, anti-abortion activist, author and politician. She is a niece of the civil rights leader Martin Luther King, Jr. and daughter of the late civil rights activist Rev. A.D. William King, Sr. and his wife Naomi Barber King. She is the full-time Pastoral Associate of African-American Outreach for the Roman Catholic pro-life group, Priests for Life.[5] She is currently a Senior Fellow at the Alexis de Tocqueville Institution, a conservative Washington, D.C. think-tank. She is a former member of the Georgia House of Representatives and the founder of King for America. She is the mother of six, and a grandmother. {Wikipedia}

Her Uncle, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. has always been an influence for good in my life...so it's no surprise that his niece would be the same.

What inspires me about Dr. Alveda King is the way she speaks truth. Her voice holds no contention, no anger, no hate. She speaks from her heart of love and peace. .Her words are gentle and kind yet when she shares her opinions you know just where she stands.

My family and I had the privilege to hear Dr. King speak in Washington D. C. a few weeks ago at the Restoring Honor Event at the Lincoln Memorial.

Not only was her speech that day uplifting and inspiring but just the fact that she was there under death threats made me realize that she does stand up for what she believes...just like her Uncle so many years ago.

Here is my sweet family in the crowd at DC...

And while I may not agree with everything Dr. King says...I know that she is a woman full of Spirit. She does everything out of love...that is what I aspire to do. To be. A woman who does everything and treats everyone with love.

So, I would LOVE to know...who is inspiring you right now and why?

xxxxxxxxxx

An update!  Yes, my Blogversary is tomorrow...BUT I am extending the contest to one more week!! Hooray! And I have upped the prizes from 1 to THREE:) 

Look at just one of the fab prizes that could be yours...

A super cute {and inspiring} butterfly collage!!

And looky, here...handmade tags for scrapbook pages. collage pages and MOrE...
 Sooooooo, what are you wainting??!?!?

Comment for 1 entry
Like me on FB for 1 entry
Follower me for 1 entry

Deadline is September 24th at NOON!

Drawing September 24th and winners posted on Monday, the 27th!!!!!

7 comments:

  1. What a great choice. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a big fan of Dr. King. Such a great woman to write about!

    My blogging friend, Jennee, was at the Restoring Honor rally too. I was (am) only a tiny bit jealous...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, Leslie...a good choice in inspiration!! I listened to some of what she spoke about at the rally. It's nice to know that you can not necessarily agree on all points but be inspired all the same.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alveda King is, indeed, quite inspiring. I love when someone can speak their own truth with love, their own opinion with love and no consternation toward others with different beliefs. It is good. Wonderful choice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. She is a wonderful woman! It's amazing that she sticks with what she believes even though most of her family doesn't. Very cool! Happy Blogversary!! Keep up the great work : )

    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great inspiration!

    Who is inspiring me? Right now it's Nichol Magourick---she has such great ideas and how to videos on her blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful time you must have had in Washington D.C. I love the idea of taking time to write about someone that has influenced you.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your thoughts and ideas...they inspire me!! I will be visiting you soon. Have a CREATIVE day!!