Monday, June 11, 2012

You're How Old?!

We've had bad luck with our kids - they've all grown up.  ~Christopher Morley


Reality has sorta hit me in the face...

My children are no longer little.
They no longer hold my hand
or fight over who gets to sit on my during movie nights.

I am no longer the center of their universe.

Each one of them is
becoming an adult.





My son, Jackson is a Senior
this year. 
I say it
yet can't quite get my heart to believe it.


There are two lasting bequests we can give our children.  
One is roots. 
 The other is wings. 
 ~Hodding Carter, Jr.

I do believe my husband and
I have done our best
and given Jacks 
what he needs to 
make it on his own.

Anyone that knows my son
knows he is fiercely independent.


He always speaks 
his mind and has
an opinion.

This summer
Jackson is Cadet Teaching
at the same Elementary School he 
went to.

Every morning he
gets up at 7 so he can 
get to "work" by 8.
He spends the morning with
40 or so kindergarten kids
and LOVES it!!



After graduation he plans
on attending Northwest Missouri State University for a year
then going on a mission for our church.

When he comes back he'll be back in school
and hopes to graduate with a teaching degree.

Ahhhh, my kids 
are growing up....


If I had my child to raise all over again,
I'd build self-esteem first, and the house later.
I'd finger-paint more, and point the finger less.
I would do less correcting and more connecting.
I'd take my eyes off my watch, and watch with my eyes.
I'd take more hikes and fly more kites.
I'd stop playing serious, and seriously play.
I would run through more fields and gaze at more stars.
I'd do more hugging and less tugging.
~Diane Loomans, from "If I Had My Child To Raise Over Again"

4 comments:

  1. I feel your pain Les! My oldeset just turned 21 and my baby is 16 and will be a junior. Not looking forward to the time when Ash will be an adult and looking to the future without me. It's such a bittersweet time in life, I'm just hoping that when she lands in adulthood, she somehow lands in the same zip code too!

    Been thinking a lot about ya and hoping you are feeling well and are busy creating. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like he knows exactly what he wants. How fun would a room full of kindergartners be!!! I still remember my kindergarten teacher. Mrs. "M" as we called her because her last name is Miatovich. She taught me to wink!

    I don't have any kids but can see it in my friend's kids. All of a sudden the are graduating and moving on the college!

    Holy moly,
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are there with half of our children...we still get hugs from them...mine all still living with us...i think that makes a difference...now it does sound like he has direction...how wonderful for him and you...xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope he decides to go into elementary school teaching, because there are so few male teachers at that level. It is always nice to see men who have a calling to work with young children; they can have such a great influence on their male students.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your thoughts and ideas...they inspire me!! I will be visiting you soon. Have a CREATIVE day!!