Wednesday, August 17, 2011

WOYWW-My Daughter

Happy Wednesday!! I have a little something different on my Work Desk today.

No crafts or artsy projects 
for me this week.
No.
My mind has been 
on one thing lately...

This girl....

My darling, sweet and beautiful Emma.



Once upon a time she was my little shadow...
tagging along with me everywhere.
She never left my side.
I swear there were some days I thought I'd go nuts...
just wanting to have a bit of time to myself.


Awww, it's funny how life goes. 
When they are so little and full of 
"Why, Mommy" and
"How come?" and
"Can I go with you?"...
well, there are times when you just get
so exasperated you just could scream.


But then something happens.
One day you realize they aren't your little shadow anymore.
They are growing and learning
and venturing out a bit more on their own.


And you are happy. 
You watch as they seek 
and find what their passions in life are.
You watch as they become more and more independent.



They still need you...
yet, you feel the difference.
It's not like it was.
They look over their shoulder to see if you're there
less and less.


Their friends and activities start to take the place of you.
You swear it won't happen...
but it does.
And it's hard.
It's hard to watch your "little shadow" grow up.


My precious "little shadow" starts High School tomorrow.
And as much as she's ready for it...
I don't know about me.

I look around my office as I type this...
looking at photos of my Em.

Where did the time go?
Wasn't she just sitting beside me?
Wasn't she just asking me to play "Little Pet Shop"
and go to the pool with her?

Where did my little girl go?


Ahhh, there she is.
She may not be so little anymore...
but she's there.
She's still that sweet
and thoughtful
and goofy 
and fun-loving girl.

She's my Emma.
And I love her.


A daughter may outgrow your lap, 
but she will neve
outgrow your heart. 

~Author Unknown


Stop by Julia's to see some awesome Work Desks:)

13 comments:

  1. oh how beautiful - I've got a lump in my throat. I so identify with this as my 'little' boy is now 18 and will be leaving home in 4 weeks' time to go to university. How I will miss him...... xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful poem - and gorgeous photos too - hope your daughter enjoys her new school - Hazel WOYWW #65 x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, sweet sweet Leslie!!! Look at that beautiful girl and know that she is becoming an amazing, strong, independent, inspiring woman . . . Because of YOU!!!!! This post does touch my heart, dear friend, as I often look at my girls and think these same things (and mine are only 4 and 8). I can't imagine the day they enter high school!!! thanks for reminding me to hold on to today, for tomorrow is just around the corner. I'll be thinking of Em tomorrow, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww, she is beautiful. I'm realizing that children grow up TOO fast! I keep trying to slow my son down, but I know it's futile. The bitter-sweetness of being a mama! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Must be something about this time of year, sending them all back off to school, that makes us take a look at them a little closer...I was just pondering some of the same things about my little crew. Miss Emma is beautiful, just like her momma.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this post. As a mom af an adult daughter I know the feeling well. There are still so many times I look at her and the memories of her childhood come rushing back. How can she be so grown up when she is still your little girl?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous tribute to a much loved daughter - what a great post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm having a quick trip round the WOYWWers before I start on my next batch of little African dresses. It's good to see what you're busy with this week.
    Hugs,
    A x

    ReplyDelete
  9. awwww,,,that's lovely...high school...she looks so much older than that...what age do you guys start high schoo in the states???

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful post, Leslie! It's good for me to read, since my girls are in that rather exasperating "shadow" phase where I sometimes just wish I could have a little space! But I also make every effort to appreciate them at this age, because before I know it, they'll be off to high school too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely post - and hey - your little apple hasn't fallen too far from the beautiful tree, huh! My little Miss Dunnit is 18 and all of your words speak for me too - it's only been five minutes, right? Hope Emma has High School sussed and in her pocket by the end of day one. Above all, I hope she enjoys.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can so relate to that post...my baby girl turned 32 this year and I miss having her around all the time to this day! HL only lives about 3 miles away but sometimes it seems like a hundred. I love having her around to do things with and share. Enjoy her while she is there! Have a great week. Thanks for sharing. Vickie

    ReplyDelete
  13. How I relate to what you are saying! Tonight I have all 5 my grandchildren for a sleep over and I wonder when their parents grew up to become parents themselves.
    Happy belated WOYWW

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your thoughts and ideas...they inspire me!! I will be visiting you soon. Have a CREATIVE day!!