Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Interview with Alexa Lett

 Happy Wednesday!! Have I got a treat for you!! Today I am featuring {as part of my "Make My Monday"} a super, wicked talented lady... Alexa Lett. 

I found Alexa by one of those happy accidents. I was reading another  creative lady's blog  Rebecca Sower {that's another interview!!} and saw Alexa's link there. I clicked on it and was so delighted by what I found. Projects like this...
 Pretty amazing-huh? You know what is really crazy? I don't even sew...yet I am so inspired by her work. It can be adapted to scrapbook pages, journals. so many projects!! My favorite part about her art is how she incorporates words into all her pieces. Right up my alley.

Be and check out her blog "Artsy-Craftsy Merchant" .
But first...check out our interview below. I think you'll look at ways you create in a whole new way:)



What inspires you the most?

Inspiration can be found in the most unique way.  I am one who wants my house clean, meals planned, chores complete, bills paid….etc.  These household responsibilities nag at my brain filling my creative space, so these unfortunate deeds of life are done early in the day, leaving time for art.  When my brain is free of my yucky “to do” list I can enter my studio with wild abandon.  Time not clouded with life is probably my biggest inspiration!

Is there one piece you’ve created that is your favorite?  Tell us about it.

Being a Mom is my top priority.  She is quite a busy little bee leaving me to provide unlimited taxi service, team mom duties and loyal fan.  Often her sport will absorb the whole weekend leaving little time to step into the studio, so I had to learn how to make the studio come to me.  You can often find me sitting on the bleachers with my MMS (Mini Mobile Studio).  I’ve learned to create snippets of artsy stuff, they initially seem unconnected, yet when I get into the studio I think they some how begin to piece together.  The best creative moments happen when all these pieces are spread across the table and slowly they get designated a home.  I can look at a piece of art and associate what sporting event or  tournament it was birthed.  Plus, you would be surprised how many people gravitate to creativity…you can meet many kindred spirits!  Below are a few photos created this year at a volleyball tournament.








Can you share your professional experiences with us?  You have been published before, right and had your work featured on HGTV? 

Having the privilege and opportunity to be featured in national media outlets is…the bomb!  Face it, I can create all day in my studio, but having someone exchange their hard earned currency to make a purchase, hire me for my ideas, or feature my art, is confirmation that what I do is liked by someone other than me…and it sometimes brings in much needed revenue to further my “junking” habit… “baby always needs a new pair of shoes”. I am not at all blinded to the fact my buying market is but a teeny tiny minutia of the public.  What then becomes my task…is finding them.  Television, books and print media become that vehicle to reach liked minded artisans.  Every form of success, know matter what it is, opens the door for new creative adventures. 



Do you have a favorite spot to create?

Not really…creativity just happens for me.  I’m not one to do much premeditation.  It’s when my brain is not worrying about responsibilities that creativity can flourish and my lifestyle does not allow for a lot of seclusion in the studio.  My favorite spot can be found most anywhere.  Sometimes you just have to adapt.  Creativity should never be confined to one spot!

Let’s talk about blogging! When did you start and why?

I have always loved to write.  I stumbled into reading a few blogs by recommendation of friends.  Oddly, I have never been a journaler, but blogging is quite appealing to me.  It started blindly in the latter part of 2007…then it become cathartic…then it was like a drug…had to do it.  I love the interaction between artists and those who appreciate good junk; not to mention the sharing of creativity through photos and online conversation.  Blogging is my favorite new technology!  How did we ever communicate before it?

Any advice on how we as women can live a creative life and have a family?  It is so hard to find that balance so any thoughts would be appreciated!

Juggling family life, jobs, children, self-preservation, and creativity is overwhelming.  There is no defined combination of time and/or effort needed to accomplish all these tasks.  The only person who can define the necessity of each, is you.  Yea…we can all say “I am woman hear me roar!” but, actually being it is very difficult.  Learning to let go of some of the housework….buying some meals instead of making them…and creating a MMS will make life much easier.  Find your balance by trial and error….then remain perfectly clear of this...within 24 hours everything is going to change. 


Anything else you would like to add?

I’m a huge fan of words…love, love quotes!  Below is my mantra as of late.

“Bite off more than you can chew, then chew it!”  -Brock

{All photos are from Alexa!!}

THANK YOU so much Alexa for taking time out of your day to recharge our creativity and inspire us to take our passion anywhere!!!

**Be sure and visit "Arsty-Craftsy Merchant".  Make sure you leave a comment below with a link to your blog so I can come visit you today, too!!! Oh and let Alexa know you're stopping by from Words of Me Project!!:)

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I haven't told you my word from last week...it is...

TRIAL 
the act of trying, testing, or putting to the proof.
3.
test; proof.
4.
an attempt or effort to do something. 
With my new HCG plan I have been put to the test. It has been hard giving up carbs. I am still working on it but have become super frustrated. I will save that for another post {or just read up top my "30 Day Weight Loss Challenge}.

5 comments:

  1. Her work is gorgeous! Love the interview.

    ReplyDelete
  2. a mini mobile studio. what a clever idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all of it! I only wish I could find the time, and have the talent to do that! Maybe someday.....

    I'm a new follower! You can find me at, Goodnight moon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a neat interview! I love that quote...I always bite off more than I can chew!

    Visiting from SITS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that was a great interview.

    I'm so glad I found your blog. I think we are kindred spirits. I could so relate to how you have been spoke about how you started journaling since you were a little girl. My first journal was a little pink Hello Kitty Diary. I still have it and with all of my others. :) Great blog!!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your thoughts and ideas...they inspire me!! I will be visiting you soon. Have a CREATIVE day!!