Friday, August 3, 2012

Giving Them Wings

Summer is winding down...and despite everyone around me saying how happy they are that school will be starting soon and the kids will be back in school...I am not.

My "baby" is a Senior this year. In just 9 short months he will be done and off to college. I am having a real problem wrapping my mind around this. Where did the time go?

Emma and I have enjoyed our summer this year. Working at The Art Experience, late night walks and drives, slushies, working at Kool Kats, going to movies. Once school starts the mayhem begins. Softball practices, homework, seminary, football games, speech team, appointments, work, the list goes on. Our calendar is already filling up.

So many changes headed my way.


Change always comes bearing gifts. ~Price Pritchett


I am trying my best to see the gifts in all the changes ahead...Jacks last year, me working full-time, new business, etc.

A good friend told me once to be Happy about Happy things and Sad about Sad things. I am holding on to her words and reminding myself that even though this is Jackson's last year and very soon Dave and I will be living in a house minus the sound of kids coming and going, nightly family meals and chaos most days...it is time for my kids to sprout their wings and fly. It is time for them to go out and live their BIG DREAMS.

I will always be here for my kids no matter where they are. They will always be a part of me. They live in my heart.

It kills you to see them grow up. But I guess it would kill you quicker if they didn't. ~Barbara Kingsolver, Animal Dreams



So this weekend we are working in Kool Kats (i need to post pics here), enjoying Olympic games at our church and a potluck and more working at Kool Kats. Sunday is church and some quiet time. I hope to squeeze a bit of art journaling in there somewhere.

How is your weekend shaping up?? If your kids are grown, how did you manage to let them go???








4 comments:

  1. Leslie, this is a really hard thing to do...watch and let our kids grow up and let them go. With my son (who is now 21) I had to let go many years ago, with the divorce and his dad pulling him in all directions I had to choose what was best for everyone involved, and that was not to keep putting my son in the middle of a tug-of-war. It was the hardest thing I've ever done, he was 12 at the time. I fought as best I could, but continued fighting was only hurting the kids. I anguished about the situation for months and months. It was after lots of fasting and prayer that I was able to put my son in God's hands and trust in Him to protect my little one.

    My daughter is a junior this year and I think next year and graduation will be extremely hard on me. I'm very close to her as it was mostly just the two of us for 7/9 years I was single, my son did come back and live with us for 2, then went back to Vegas (for a girl, of all reasons..booo), anyway, I think it's a hard thing to do, but like the quote, harder to see them not grow up.

    Thanks Leslie, for sharing your heart, your thoughts and feelings. I sure wish we lived closer, I think we'd be great in real life friends too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woah, didn't mean to write a novel!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. its hard but have no choice, we are friends now and have wonderful grandchildren, and great grandchildren. actually you will get used to it and love not to have all that busy busy time, have time to do the things you really want to do, quiet time, all the art time you want...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It does seem like such a bittersweet time. I am having a hard time thinking about getting my kids off to elementary school in a couple of years. I know that I will turn around and be facing what you are facing...it all goes so quickly! I hope you find great joy with your son during this last year of high school, as he makes exciting plans for his future, and continue to enjoy such quality time with your daughter, too. Your great love for them makes that a "given"! :-)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your thoughts and ideas...they inspire me!! I will be visiting you soon. Have a CREATIVE day!!