Monday, July 18, 2011

Technique Tuesday-Cookies

Every year we plant a HUGE garden...I mean HUGE. We have been blessed again this year with an abundance of sweet corn, peppers, tomatoes, potatoes and ZUCCHINI!! Yes, the plant that seems to multiply right before your eyes-LOL.

This year instead of the usual savory side dish or bread I decided to try something a bit different...zucchini cookies. I found a wonderful recipe in one of my fave cookbooks...


Girls, these cookies were amazing....seriously! First I gathered all my ingredients in one place.

I haven't always been the type to do this...I'm more of a messy kind of cook. Searching for ingredients as I go, making a mess and hoping I have everything. My cooking skills are improving...

and I'm finally using this. Love it!

It looks so Julia-like sitting on my kitchen counter.

Okay. So first take 1 and a half cups sugar, 1 and a half cups butter and 2 eggs and beat for 5-10 minutes.

I just let my mixer go till the mixture got light and fluffy like buttercream frosting-yum;)

 While that mixes add 1 tsp. lemon juice, 1 tsp lemon rind and 2 cups shredded zucchini.

I shredded mine using a hand grater. The zucchini is so soft...very easy to do.

To that mixture add 2 tsp. baking powder, 4 cups flour and mix until just blended.


Fold in 1 and a half cups chopped pecans.

Drop by spoonfuls onto a lightly greased baking sheet. I like my cookies pretty good size. For smaller cookies you should be able to get 4 to 5 across a regular size baking sheet.


Bake at 350 degrees fro about 15 to 20 minutes. I use an convection oven so it took a bit less time. Really keep an eye on them. they will get a nice golden brown around the edges.

Aren't they gorgeous?

Girls, these cookies are moist and chewy and not too sweet. A perfect cookie!!

And the zucchini? You don't taste it a bit.

Look at these babies...

They were still moist the next day, too.


After the cookies cooled {and I had eaten THREE} I put a few in 2 cellophane bags and tied with a pretty ribbon to take to my Visiting Teachers sisters.


Each bag came with a handmade card, too.

Cards are becoming my new thing. Love making them!


But most of all I love giving them.

So girls, if you have too many zucchini and are tired of the usual breads and sides why not give these tasty cookies a try? I give them 4 out of 5 stars! YUM!

How do you use up your zucchini?

4 comments:

  1. on bummer...just did huge long post...lol..would love to see your garden and my biggest love for them is with tomatoes and onions all cooked up...yum yum....xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always love using zucchini; it is a challenge. I make this Zucchini Cheese Loaf. Your cookies look delicious~ I love your red Julia style mixer!
    Thanks for sharing~

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love zucchini nut bread, so I bet I would love these cookies too! Thanks for sharing how you made them. I love the look of that lovely pile of shredded zucchini...seems like that would be the most time-consuming part of the process. I will have to give it a try, though! (They look great as gifts in the cellophane bags, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea. It makes perfect sense that if you can use zucchini in bread you can use it in cookies but I never thought about it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your thoughts and ideas...they inspire me!! I will be visiting you soon. Have a CREATIVE day!!