Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Week 37: See & CEleBrAtE!

"To see far is one thing, going there is another."  -Constantin Brancusi


I tend to do the same things over and over...it's more comfortable that way..lol. But is comfort what we should be striving for in this one precious life of ours? I don't think so! My WORD this year is MOVE. My very favorite quote that represents where I want to go this year is from The Hobbit and has a permanent home on the side of my blog...

“Go back?" he thought. "No good at all! Go sideways? Impossible! Go forward? Only thing to do! On we go!" So up he got, and trotted along with his little sword held in front of him and one hand feeling the wall, and his heart all of a patter and a pitter.” -The Hobbit

Girls, when I read this quote I get tears in my eyes...dorky??? Maybe...but it sums up how I want to live my life...not being afraid. Trying new things. Being scared but doing it anyway.

The past 2 years have been a rough one for our family. You can read about it here and here. There were times I didn't think I would make it through...the pain was too much. Financially we were barely squeaking by. We would go weeks at a time not knowing where the money would come from to pay our bills, buy food, etc. It was surreal and I often thought "Is this as good as it gets?"

Looking back I know our family went through this trial so we could be the people we are today. We appreciate everything...I mean everything! We have love and compassion for others like never before and our faith has grown like I never thought possible!  Oh and that little Hobbit quote above?? I have lived that...Throughout our Dark Time (it's what I call those two years) I wanted to GO BACK to our old life...the life where we had money to go to Disney World and buy new cars and clothes and see movies three times a week. A time when I didn't feel worry and stress (or so I thought). I wanted to GO BACK! But like the Hobbit...it wasn't meant to be...the ONLY THING to do was to MOVE forward. And I I was scared...oh so scared. Forward meant I couldn't SEE what was ahead...there were so many variables in MOVING Forward...


These precious souls are what matter to me!!


But I put my Brave Girl pants on and MOVED. With each day that passed by I became stronger and stronger. I prayed so hard at times with tears streaming down my face I thought my heart would explode. But I kept going. I found new ways of doing things. I created my Brave Art. I art journaled. I spent time with my precious family.

I survived.

Girls, last weekend was momentous for our sweet family. You see, all the muck we have been slogging through has nearly dried up. The debt we had hanging over us...is nearly gone. For the first time in over 2 years we are almost healed! We have been able to breathe MUCH easier the past few months with less stress than we've experienced in years...but it was THIS weekend when we could really, really SEE what was in front of us...LIGHT.




To celebrate I took my paycheck and for the first time since this all began and spent it on ME. I know, I know....that may sound selfish...but it was SO MUCH FUN and FELT SO GOOD! And honestly...I have plenty left over for groceries, bills, etc...so I was responsible!!

Here is what I found!!





Paper clay!! I have been so inspired lately by several of my art friends and the beautiful things they create with this. I can't wait to play!! And those wooden keys look like so much fun don't they?? I see hearts in my future....:)


Last year when most art supplies were wishful thinking  I went on Amazon and "Wished" these stencils to my Wish List...last weekend I found them at Hobby Lobby ON SALE!!



Acrylic paint was on sale so I picked up a few of my fave colors, along with spray inks, stamps, glitter (will look so good on those keys!) and something NEW...pearlescent to me water colors.



Can you believe it?? I now own a Dremel!! And my sweet husband bought this tool kit to go with it. This intimidates me a bit but now I can add some 3-D Embellishments to my work...something I can't wait to do!



I used my 40% off coupon for this fun kit!! Gelatos!! I have always wanted to try...now I have this groovy kit from Faber-Castell that shows me a ton of techniques....I can already tell these will be my new favorites!!



I also found brushes on CRAZY SELL, inks and pattern paper!! 



Girls....you may be thinking...where in the heck is Leslie going with this week?!?!....Girls, I think we ALL have problems and hard times and depression and pain and sickness that is so very difficult to get THROUGH. ALL OF US must MOVE Forward in order to progress and grow and LIVE. 

This week I want you to TRY something NEW. I want you to Branch Out. I want you to really SEE how far you've come then CELEBRATE! Buy yourself a new art supply you've been wanting or go to You Tube and watch a new technique and TRY IT! 

I have been HIDING from so many things these past two years...but NO MORE! I am making friends, sharing my heart...really putting myself out there. It's not always easy but I am doing it! And I want to start living this way in my ART! In my journals, on canvas, my blog and other social media sites. 

I am so GRATEFUL for EACH ONE OF YOU! Whether you know it or not...THIS blog and my challenges I share with you...they ALL have kept me going....they have helped put my what's in HEART in perspective. Even though the muck was swirling around...my HEART really was full of love and hope and light.

THANK YOU so much for sharing my journey!! I truly hope and pray that Being Me is helping you to live a better life and be the best YOU!!!

Our Face Book page
What is Being Me?
All 37 Weeks

5 comments:

  1. This is the first blog post of yours that I've read and what a heart warming post it is! I found your Words of Me project online...somewhere. I am new to mixed media and art journaling and it is truly inspiring to me. Looking forward to learning a lot and reading your awesome blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must be missing something when i click over to see all 52 weeks - all I see is 33 but this one is listed as #37?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Leslie! What a fun collection of new supplies...I know you'll have a great time with them. I used those pearlescent watercolors for the first time recently at the illuminated letter workshop I took at my local library...I'll have to look for those for my home stash! Congratulations on moving back into the light!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun supplies! And I can totally identify with what you said about challenges and needing to move forward. Shortly before my 22nd birthday I found out that my kidneys were failing and I needed a transplant. I felt like the sky had fallen on me, like God was playing a giant cosmic joke on me, only I wasn't laughing. I was so scared, because I knew that the transplant was no guarantee, and there was a good chance that I might not even wake up. But over the months that followed, I gradually came to realize that what was happening was not the very worst thing that could happen to me (and in fact, in many ways it turned out to be a huge blessing) and that I could face down the challenges. What I went through has strengthened me immeasurably, and in a number of different ways. Now I'm facing kidney failure again, but I KNOW that this time I can take whatever life has in store for me and keep going, and that once again, I will be stronger for what I've been through when it's over.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your thoughts and ideas...they inspire me!! I will be visiting you soon. Have a CREATIVE day!!