Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Lighten Up Already!

Being solitary is being alone well: being alone luxuriously immersed in doings of your own choice, aware of the fullness of your won presence rather than of the absence of others. Because solitude is an achievement.
Alice Koller 



Today as Annie, my massage therapist was working on the many knots in my neck she asked me how often I took time for myself. I thought about it and realized it's very rare. I am always doing for others...taking care of my family is my number one priority. I work, cook, clean, listen, nurture and so much more. I go from the moment my feet hit the floor. 

When was the last time I just sat and was still?

I don't know.

So today, she asked me what is my favorite way to relax? Of course I replied creating. Just being in my studio melts the stress away...I can literally feel it going away. Then she asked me why I don't spend more time in my studio...I told her that something or someone always needs my attention. Or at least in my mind they do.

Annie told me to stop and take at least 15 minutes a day just for me in my studio so I can channel  my stress energy into something soothing and productive.

So beginning today...I am taking her advice. Each day I am going to spend time in my space...maybe I'll journal or paint or just sit...but I will be there.



I think I need to lighten up my blog posts, too. It seems what's so supposed to enlighten and inspire you has become a dumping ground for all the problems in my life. Maybe I am focusing too much on the not so happy stuff?? I promise to share more ART here in the very near future...lol.

Do YOU spend enough time with yourself?? What do you do? Please share with me!!!

4 comments:

  1. Yep, get creating and you'll feel better even on the bad days! :)

    Although, I think it's okay to dump sometimes. Life is a series of ups and downs and it's just as important to embrace and share the downs so when the ups happen we appreciate them more.

    Take care. Make something!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I try to. Right now, with a toddler at home, just prioritising sleep over chores and catching up on stuff sometimes feels like extreme self-care. But I do try to get up before the rest of the family at weekends to just sit and stare, pray uninterrupted, journal or something. I need those breathers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great advice from the massage therapist. Taking time for reading and prayer are so important. I love to take time to create, but sometimes just sitting quietly in my art room in my glider chair is such delicious relaxation!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your thoughts and ideas...they inspire me!! I will be visiting you soon. Have a CREATIVE day!!